Monday, October 22, 2007

Paranoid Mom-of-the-Year Award

I have called the pediatrician's office again today. I said "this is Ephraim's mom..." To which they said "Hold on Angie, we'll get the doctor to the phone..." I know Ephraim isn't a common name, but still, they know who we are. Ephraim has already been to their office more than Ellie at 3 years old.

Ephraim isn't eating well. He'll eat for a few minutes and then act like he's mad at his source of food. His soft spot is sunken in - a sign of dehydration. So I'm trying to feed him some every hour - yeah, fun. Our pediatrician said I could supplement with some Pedialyte and to do daily weights. We're to check back in Thursday or sooner if the weight is really dropping off. So please continue to keep him in your prayers.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Sometimes Troy does the same mad thing like he's a woodpecker and pulls away. It usually is because he has a dirty diaper. If that isn't the case then I switch him back and forth between. Troy will get mad that the milk isn't coming fast enough and isn't patient enough to suck another two seconds to get more. Sometimes I have to put him down or hand him to Norman to calm him down.
I also have seen his soft spot seem to sink in. I then read somewhere that his soft spot cover is flat where as his skull is rounded. That difference makes it sometimes look like his soft spot is indented. As long as Ephraim has a certain amount of wet diapers a day then he's ok (5-6 I think...and clear urine). Anyways, I don't know if any of that helps or is pertinent... You are all in our prayers! :)

SAN said...

Been thinking about you guys alot! I am glad to know I'm not the only paranoid mom out there...I feel a little insane some days! Gus' soft spot seems sunken a lot too...it seems to happen most if I'm holding him upright or he is in his baby carrier...I'm thinking maybe it's a blood pressure thing...can't get enough blood up to his poor head, but I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I agree with Angela about the pee thing, though. I just keep an eye on it and make sure it's pretty clear. We are praying for you all: peace, comfort and strength!
Amy Noll

Stephanie said...

Hey -- I loved seeing the pictures of your sweet family!

Angela said...

I talked with a couple other moms today. We know of two babies who had protein allergies. Troy also refused yesterday a couple of times but he ended up needing to burp. Another thing mentioned (if breastfeeding) that he may not like the flavor of something you've recently eaten or it may make his tummy upset. I've realized that I have to stay away from broccoli and maybe even white grapefruit juice :'( . I can't wait until Troy's hair gets thicker on top so that I won't see the soft spot and be concerned. I hate seeing it move when he breathes or his heart beats. :p