Monday, January 21, 2008

We're Still Here...

It has been a while since we've posted. The McGhee's have been very busy!

Let me first summarize the "behind the scenes" of December. In early December, Ephraim was diagnosed with some food allergies. I had to stop eating milk, soy, and any derivative of them. It was difficult at first. It seems like everything has soy in it - who would have thought! Scott, however, has been very diligent to find me things to eat. He has been frequenting the new GreenLife grocery in downtown Chattanooga. We've discovered some really good (though not cheap) foods that I can eat. We've even been getting fresh bread from the Great Harvest Bakery - delicious - it will be hard to go back to regular bread! Ephraim is doing much better now. As long as I am breast feeding him I'll be on this diet. Per our pediatrician, most kids grow out of these allergies by the time they are one. She said at out last visit that we could start trying some milk at around nine months.

Then, two days before Christmas, Scott broke his foot. Was he biking or running, you might ask. Neither. He says he wish it were that glorious. He was chasing a cat down the hall in his Burkenstocks. It was a Sunday and I was at work. He was home with our two kids and his parents were already in Ohio for Christmas. My mom, with my sister's 18 month in tow, and my Aunt Di kept the kids while my step-dad took Scott to the ER. It has been a difficult injury for him. All his "sports", which he cannot do now, really help with keeping his blood sugar down. So now he is "dieting" as well. Please pray for him to heal quickly and without complications.

We are having to update some of our paperwork for the adoption. As part of that I went for a physical the last part of December. When my labwork came back I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. This explained alot - my EXTREME tiredness, extremely dry skin, and possibily my inability to loose my last bit of "baby weight". I started on a drug called Synthroid, and let me tell you, it is like a miracle drug. I am feeling like myself again, instead of the near narcoleptic that I had become! And it was immediate - I felt better after the first dose of my medicine. My skin is better and I am almost back to my normal weight with no changes in what I've been eating. Thank God for having to redo paperwork because I would have never gone to the doctor.

So that was December. Do you see why our posts have been lacking?

This January we celebrated some anniversaries. January 8th was the day I found out I was pregnant with Ephraim last year. January 15th marked one year from the day our paperwork was logged in to China for baby Eva (we submitted it November 28th - well before we knew about Ephraim, but would have submitted it anyway even if we'd known about him). And we celebrated Scott's birthday on January 18th.

We are looking forward to what 2008 will bring. Ephraim is growing so fast and Ellie gets more grown up every day. We will try and do better with our posts and I'll do pictures next time - I promise!

4 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

Whew....that made me tired just reading about it. Ya'll have been busy. Maybe February will be a little more relaxing. We've started our HS update as well. I'm having some issues with the county sanitation inspection people. It really shouldn't be this hard....ugh. But, it will work out, I'm sure.

Shana

chelle belle said...

Hey! Glad you returned! But, gosh, so sorry that you've had to go through so much! Prayers here for Scott to heal quickly, Ephriam to out grow his allergy, and many praises for Synthroid!!!

Hope things will settle down a little now!

Chelle

Maddie said...

We understand the diet thing. It can be sooo hard to change the way you eat. We have been from Dalton to Chattanooga to Marietta and back trying to find things Ethan can eat. Hope things will calm down very soon!

Bridenstine4 said...

Glad to read your update! We'll be praying for Scott's quick recovery, Synthroid to keep on keepin' on, and the paperwork chase.