Wednesday, April 23, 2008

8 Months Old and Sick... AGAIN!

Ephraim was 8 months old today (April 22). It is so hard to believe!

Yesterday I had to take little E to the pediatrician's office. His cough was back and he was wheezing. You guessed it... we are back on breathing treatments. This time we have two different breathing treatments we have to give him, one of them every 4-6 hours until his cough is gone, and the other twice a day... FOR 3 MONTHS! He has a virus, and in a baby, with the second episode of wheezing, it is considered that your baby has asthma. So we go back in 3 months. If there is no further wheezing in the next 3 months, he can go to once a day on that breathing treatment for another 3 months for a total of 6 months. Yikes.

To top it off, Ephraim had a suspicious poo-poo diaper that morning. I took it with us to the pediatrician's office and confirmed that he is bleeding again. This, my friends, brought me to tears, and has several times since. My poor little boy! Our pediatrician recommended that I put a call in to our GI doctor. He called me back yesterday afternoon. He said not to get too excited, it wasn't even necessarily something that I ate, that it could be a virus. He had me to cut out the only new thing I've been eating, bread from a local bakery, and I have to mail in a stool sample in a week. He said he did not think I needed to switch him to formula (much to my relief).

Last night Ephraim had a fever, so I had to call out of work today. So he and I spend most of his 8 month "birthday" in bed. Oh, did I mention I am sick, too, with an awful cold. So, if you happened to think about it, pray for us. If Ephraim is not better by Thursday or Friday, we will have to add another breathing treatment. And PLEASE pray for a his little intestines to heal and that he would outgrow his food allergies soon (85% of babies do by their 1st birthday). Thank you so much!

6 comments:

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Angie, I am praying for you guys today. Will has been sick all week with a fever. Just a fever, nothing else. We had a strep test and it was negative. I wanted to say about the breathing treatments, I don't know if you remember this, but Erin was really sick and wheezy as a baby. She also did regular breathing treatments with something other than albuterol....hmmm...can't remember the name of it but it was supposed to build up her lungs (I think). We had to do them twice a day for about a year. She was also officially diagnosed with Asthma. I laugh about that now, because she never ever gets sick or wheezes. I think whatever that drug was...I wish I could remember the name...it really helped her. The other kids get sick all the time with colds and stuff, not Erin. So we paid when she was little, but after about age 3 she was as healthy as an ox. So hang in there. I'll pray for E's food allergies, too. No real experience with that, but I will definitely pray for healing. Sick babies are hard. Mommy and Daddy need prayers of strength and patience, too. Those breathing treatments can be trying at times. Does he go to Dr. Holley at AAI(Allergy Asthma Institute)?(I think that's the name of it). It's on Gunbarrel. We had a lot of success with Dr. Holley and Erin for the asthma.
Sorry for the book. I can just sympathize with you.
hugs,
Terri

Brad and Shana said...

So sorry poor Ephraim is having trouble. It really is hard when you have a sick one a lot. I'll be praying for you.

Love,
shana

Maddie said...

We will be praying too! My cousin was allergic to everything when he was a baby, and he grew out of most of it. I remember it being very difficult though. We will pray that Ephraim grows out of all of this very soon. If there is anything I can do - come hold him while you sleep - please let me know. I would love to help!

chelle belle said...

Ahhhhh man! I hate this for you! I know you have sacrificed so much from your own diet to keep him healthy. I can imagine how frustrating and hopeless it must seem at times. You are such a WONDERFUL Mommy and I applaud you for the great lengths you take for the sake of your dearest ones!

Many, many prayers here that the BOTH of you will be feeling better soon and that the breathing treatments will do their magic and NOT be overwhelming to your already busy schedule.

Big (((HUGS))) from here.
Chelle

The Wild World of Richmond said...

I finally thought of it...pulmicort!!! I think that's what it was...who am I kidding? Your the pharmacist, not me. Crazy, but that's been eating at me since I wrote that.
love you,
Terri

The Wild World of Richmond said...

I finally thought of it...pulmicort!!! I think that's what it was...who am I kidding? Your the pharmacist, not me. Crazy, but that's been eating at me since I wrote that.
love you,
Terri