Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"Yucky"


I guess you all noticed my lack of posts in the month of May. Let me just borrow a term from Ellie and say that May was "yucky". I can't point to one thing in particular, just overall it seemed kind of "yucky". And before you say "what about Mother's Day"... I had to work.

I did get through something I have been dreading for a long time - I had to work third shift one night. When I left the house at 9pm that night, both kids were still awake and crying. Ellie wanted to know when she would see me again. After that night, Ephraim didn't sleep good for two nights, he wouldn't settle down unless I was holding him. I was so tired. I told Scott to let me lay down and lay Ephraim on my back - it worked (see above picture). To use another of Ellie's phrases, we were both "fast asleep".

So, tonight I have been catching up on my blog reading. Two things really jumped out at me.

1) Ephraim must be huge. I read blogs of several friends with babies born around the same time as Ephraim. We did the weigh ourselves with Ephraim and then without method - he weighs 22 pounds. Enough said.

2) We have a lot of friends that like to camp. I feel like I work a lot. I don't want to work when I am trying to relax. Putting up a tent, building a fire, keeping bugs swatted away, cooking - this all sounds like work to me. Vacations are good that involve a lot of sleeping. I don't think I can sleep a lot on the ground - wait, no, I probably could sleep a lot anywhere, anyhow (again, see picture above).

So, on to June. I am hoping for a fabulous June. We will celebrate Ellie's Gotcha Day on June 19th. Haven't decided what we will do yet. In the past we have done Creative Discovery Museum and the TN Aquarium. Got any ideas anyone? We try and make it a special day for her. Ellie will also start swimming lessons next week.

Ephraim is doing well. He is eating well and had no blood on his last two stool samples. Yipee!
He is starting to scoot around - not crawling yet.

So, there's our update. I'll try and do better with posts this month as well!



11 comments:

Eddie said...

Angie, that's too funny...sorry you've had to work so much. I'm sure you've noticed all the outside work I've been doing...but we've still had time to go to JFest and I'll be going to "Faith and Family Night" at Riverbend next week. Go to our Blog to see our latest. See ya...Eddie, Up The Hill.

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Ooooh, I have a suggestion. When Will was a little younger than Ellie and Bryn was a baby like Ephraim, we took an outing to the Knoxville zoo. It was one of my favorite trips. Bryn liked it but was able to sleep in the stroller if necessary and Will absolutely loved it at that age. It's still one of our favorite trips. We love the Knox. zoo so much more than the Atlanta zoo. It seems less crowded with even more pizazz. They now have an interactive part where you can pretend to milk a cow and much more. They also have a part where the kids can play in some little streams and fountains(chlorinated) that my kids really enjoy. For our family, it is more economical to buy season passes(become members) to the Chatt zoo and then you get in free in Knox. Not sure about yours(with only four), but then you can get in free in zoos all over the country. It's good for one year. Even now our kids are begging to go to Knox to the zoo and we've been a gazillion times.

Angela said...

Ephraim isn't huge and he doesn't look like it...a little boy that goes to our church is 3.5 months and about 20 lbs.
I'm glad Troy isn't the only one not really crawling yet! Phew... :p
Wow, 3rd shift, you're amazing. I don't know how you do it!

chelle belle said...

Ahhh. I've certainly missed keeping up with you! I'm sorry May was so yucky! Sweet Ellie is SO descriptive in her word choices!!!

You sound like one TIRED Mommy! Praying for refreshment for you and LOTS of uninterrupted, peaceful sleep in June!

So glad to hear Ephraim is eating and tolerating food better! I think he's just right ~ not too big! Besides, when he starts cruising he'll shed a couple of those pounds!

Listen, I hear ya about camping! We've been going twice a year for a couple of years mainly because we wanted to be with our friends who camp AND to give our girls great memories. Well, this year Tim and I both said, "Ain't NO WAY!" ~ with a baby crawling all around trying to eat dirt and get into who knows what, and probably screaming in the middle of the night waking up the entire campground. No fun. My girls really miss it and have asked several times when we're going again. Honestly, I don't know. Holy cow, it is such HARD WORK planning, preparing and packing to head to the woods for a couple of nights. Whew! Honestly, I enjoy the hikes most of all and think that would be a fun day trip instead of camping....

Hope you have a very memorable Gotcha Day! I'm sure it will be special whatever you decide! I love the Knox zoo suggestion! I wanna go!!!

Maddie said...

Glad to catch up with you! Sorry May was yucky. Hopefully June will be fabulous! We loved the Knoxville zoo too. We've only been once. Ella was about five months old, so she was in the stroller most of the time, but we all loved it. I don't know if they still do this, but Maddie and I rode a camel together. It was really cool!

Brad and Shana said...

Hey guys.

Ditto on the Knoxville Zoo. Since we've gotten to know that City so well, we've been several times and the kids love it.

I was going to suggest the Chattanooga zoo. Our kids LOVE it too, and it's in town and not too big. It can easily be done in about an hour. We have done what Terri was talking about and joined the Chatt. zoo (I think it was $45 for a family) and then you get in free at Knoxville and 1/2 price in Atlanta.

If you want a little day trip, go to Knoxville. You can stop by the Turkey Creek Shopping area on the way home. They have just about everything, all right together.

If the gas prices are driving you crazy, celebrate at the Chattanooga zoo. My kids love it so much we had Sara Kate's birthday party there....and I know they've added a few exhibits recently.

Tamara Chastain said...

Our May was Yucky too. I'm so glad you family is doing well. My suggestion would be the Chattanoog Zoo. We love it! It is small, but thats what I like about it. They also have a little petting zoo. We have been the the Knoxville Zoo and it's fun too.

carrie said...

hey ang!! i have missed you. let's get together soon.
i went camping once and that was enough for me:)
what about the atlanta aquarium and coca cola museum or a show at the center for puppetry arts OR the atlanta childrens museum.

Cyndi Lou said...

Hey Angie,

I hate to hear that you had such a yucky May. It was just plain BUSY at our house. Personally, I, too, am glad it is now June!! YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Also, I am SO WITH YOU on the camping thing. The last time I camped out, I was like 12 years old and I remember it being fun, EXCEPT for sleeping on the ground, in a tent, with no pillow to speak of, and all kinds of noises coming from all kinds of places outside the tent. Oh, yeah, and how could I forget the pre-packaged, dried camp food? Come to think of it, I don't think I had too much fun, hence, we're back where we started... The last time I went camping, I was 12!! :)

My idea of a vacation involves a NICE condo or rental home, an ocean view, and many lazy days around the pool or on the sand and in the water. Oh, and naps whenever you want!! I am with you on that one.

The picture of you and Ephraim is PRECIOUS! You can see that he loves his mommy! Who wouldn't?

I hope June brings much better days for the McGhee family!

Love,

Cyndi

The Wild World of Richmond said...

We rode the camel, too. Actually, I rode with Will when he was 3 and Will rode with Jay when he was 3. Always a treat!!!!
love you guys,
Terri

amy griffith said...

amy sedgwick griffith here:

slange, i hope your lack of posts this month is no reflection of sick kids!!!! i hope yall are all doing better!!!